Thursday, January 28, 2010

Turned on to Tropicals!

This week I had the opportunity to attend CENTS (Central Enviromental Nursery Trade Show)in Columbus,Ohio. Ohio State University offers classes to those of us in the nursery trade to keep our Certifications updated during this show. I attended 2 classes offered by Tony Avent of Plant Delights Nursery. He was a great speaker and boy does he knows stuff! His class was titled: 'Big, Bold and Bodacious' and I now have several new must haves for my garden next year!! My favorite is Colocasia gigantea 'Thailand Giant"



It gets to 9' tall with leaves that get 5'long x 4' wide, I think it belongs on my patio! Another was Colocasia 'Coffee Cups' the large cupped leaves capture rainwater causing them to tip and spill the water out then fill back up again repeating the process like an Oriental fountain. How neat is that?



The tropicals that Mr. Avent showed us were just awesome and made me open my eyes to a lot of posibilities for new containers. They are more work-winter storage and lots of watering. I think I can handle it! Anyways, go check out their site and look at all the goodies they are offering!

Laura

1 comment:

  1. Sure are beauties.
    Now you have me thinking...maybe I should have started some cannas for this season.

    ReplyDelete